Internet Dating is Not Like Ordering a Pizza by Cherie Burbach

internet-pizza-cover-sm




Have you become frustrated with Internet dating?If you've tried online dating and given up, or even if you thought the Internet wasn't right for you, this book will give you the courage to try again, this time armed with specific illustrations on what really works - from the profile through the dating stage. Don't waste another minute wondering why some people seem to have Internet dating success while you're still waiting for a response to your online ad. Through dozens of concrete examples, dating expert Cherie Burbach will show you how to write an eye-catching profile, search for, and meet the right person online.





Cherie Burbach used her experience with meeting her husband online to pen At the Coffee Shop, a humorous look at the world of Internet dating. Cherie went on over 60 coffee dates in just six months. She met lots of great people and one of those turned out to be the guy she would marry just one year later.

She is the Dating Feature Writer for Suite101, an online magazine with over 10 million views monthly, and also the author of three poetry books, including A New Dish and The Difference Now. Her latest, Father's Eyes, has received the 2008 Editor's Choice Award by Allbooks Review. Cherie blogs at Jennifer Lopez, Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, Career and Kids, Celebrity Apprentice, Gossip on Sports, and Diabetes Notes.

For poets looking for a review of their book, check out Cherie's new site Bonjour Poetry Reviews.

Readers have resonated with Cherie's honest and inspirational "This I Believe" essay, which is the second-most popular out of over 32,000 entries on the NPR website. For more information, please visit Cherie's website at www.thedifferencenow.com or www.datingdatingall-things-dating.blogspot.com.


I was lucky enough to be able to interview this author. This is what she had to say:

Could you please tell us a little about your book?

Certainly! Internet Dating is Not Like Ordering a Pizza shows daters how to succeed with meeting people online. It provides concrete examples on how to write an eye-catching profile, set up coffee dates, end dates, and email matches. It's a handbook for anyone new to Internet dating, or those who have tried it and given up.

Did something specific happen to prompt you to write this book?

I met my husband online, and have written hundreds of article on the subject of dating and relationships. I've also had the opportunity to hear from Internet daters and find out exactly what they are frustrated about when it comes to meeting someone online.

Who or what is the inspiration behind this book?

I thought Internet dating was a great way to meet someone special, and I want to encourage other daters that they can find the right person for them. People get very frustrated with Internet dating at times, but there is a process that will help them out. With the right approach and right profile, anyone can succeed. They just need to know how to do it. My book doesn't just tell them how to do it but shows them how.

Who is your biggest supporter?

My husband, hands down. He's very supportive of new ideas I have and is always the first reader of my books.

Your biggest critic?

Myself!

What cause are you most passionate about and why?

I'm passionate about research and funding for diabetes. I got Type 1 Diabetes when I was at my healthiest. I was actually training for a biathlon at the time I got sick. It is a disease that is hard on the body and costly. People have a lot of misconceptions about the disease, and I hope to educate people as well as inspire them. In fact, my new book is diabetes-related. (Stay tuned... :)

Do you have any rituals you follow when finishing a piece of work?

First, a silent celebration that consists of smiling, feeling happy, and thanking God for allowing me to do what I love. So often writers are very critical of their own work, and I can certainly fall into that category.

After my brief celebration, I put the work aside and let it "rest." After that, I go back and read it again before sending it on for edits.

What is the most important thing in your life right now?

My husband and our happy marriage. I'm very proud of what we have and thankful to God for bringing us together.

What are you currently working on?

I have a diabetes-related book I'm finishing and another relationship-related book due out in 2009. (It's still in first draft form right now.)

What do you feel is your biggest strength?

My faith. God has led me through some very difficult things in my life, and I've survived because of Him.

Biggest weakness?

Being critical of myself. Not sure if this is something a lot of other writers deal with or if it's a lingering effect from my childhood. Maybe a little of both. It's something I'm always working on.

What do you feel sets this book apart from others in the same genre?

It has several real examples to show someone what it means to "be more descriptive" in their profile or "send a short email" to someone that's interested them. I've been in their shoes and know what works, and want to show them - not just tell them.

You know the scenario – you’re stuck on an island. What book would you bring with you and why?

Just one? That would have to be the Bible. I would need it for inspiration and lessons in faith. Plus, it also has the poetry of the psalms, and I couldn't survive without poetry!

If you could go back and change one day, what would it be?

Oh how tempted I would be to change things in the past! But the truth is, if you change one thing many other things might change as well. Since I like my life now, I'd have to keep everything the same.

What is the most important lesson you have learned from life so far?

Here's a big one I've learned recently: That everyone is responsible for their own happiness. Some people will guilt you into jumping through hoops to make them happy. In the end, we are all responsible for the way we view and interact in life.

What is your favorite past-time?

Reading, writing, drawing, scrapbooking, crocheting. Anything creative floats my boat!

Is there anything else you would like to share with us?

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me!
If anyone has a question on online dating, feel free to email me. My contact information can be found at my website, www.cherieburbach.com.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

 

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Great interview with tons of excellent advice.

Best of luck with your book, Cherie.

Cheryl

Cherie Burbach said...

Thank you Cheryl!

Cherie Burbach said...

Thanks, Cheryl! This was a fun interview. I hope every online dater out there gets my book because I really believe in it.

Beautiful Russian brides said...

Online dating can be a fun and successful process - true. And I am sure there are techniques that teach you to do things right and avoid disappointments and all. But dating is one thing, and actually finding someone is a totally different thing. I believe one really needs to have the mind set on wanting to meet someone for a longterm relationship before even starting the process.