The Second Virginity of Suzy Green by Sara Hantz


I have never read a YA book set in Australia before, so was delighted when I was offered the opportunity to review The Second Virginity of Suzy Green by Sara Hantz.
There has been a tragedy in the Green family, and when Suzy's dad is offered a new job in a new location it is the perfect chance for the whole family to try and move on and start over. Suzy has decided to stop being the "wild child", and maybe try to be a little more like her sister Rosie. In an attempt to reinvent herself she changes her music, her clothing, and her overall appearance. It works, as she quickly fits in in school and even begins dating one of the handsome popular boys in her class. Things are going great, until she is invited to join the Virginity Club, one of the extracurricular activities her new friends participate in.

Apparently Virginity Clubs are the latest craze and all of the "cool" people belong, pledging to save themselves for marriage and to refrain from any kind of inappropriate activities with the opposite sex, including touching and kissing. Suzy doesn't see any harm in joining, even though she isn't a virgin. After all, it's only one small little lie, and who will ever find out? That is until Ryan, her old boyfriend and the boy she lost her virginity to, moves to town. Is this the beginning of the end for Suzy? Can she keep up the lie and try and convince Ryan to help her...or does she even want to?

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and really made me remember what being a teenager is like. Trying to fit in sometimes means giving up some of the things you love - Suzy finds this out the hard way. All of the characters were so well developed, and one of my favorites was Maddie, the best friend who struggles to believe all that Suzy is going through to impress her "new" crowd of friends. I applaud the author for encouraging teens to just be themselves instead of trying to be something they aren't.

Questions for the author:

What hobbies do you enjoy apart from writing?
I LOVE GOING TO THE MOVIES (ESPECIALLY TEEN OR CHICK MOVIES), I ALSO DO JIGSAWS, HAVE STARTED TO KNIT, WATCH LOADS OF TV, AND GO WALKING (PREFERABLY ALONG THE BEACH).

Did you fit in with the "in" crowd as a teen? Depending on your answer, did it make it easier writing the book because of this?
AT SCHOOL I WAS MORE LIKE THE 'OLD' SUZY. I WAS ALWAYS IN TROUBLE AND SPENT MUCH OF MY TIME DISRUPTING LESSONS (I DID REDEEM MYSELF LATER AND WENT TO UNIVERSITY). THOUGH MY FRIENDS AND I WEREN'T THE 'IN' CROWD WE DID HAVE OUR OWN GROUP AND WERE HAPPY. I THINK MY WHOLE SCHOOL EXPERIENCE HELPED ME WRITE THIS BOOK. I COULD EASILY RELATE TO OLD SUZY, AND TO NEW SUZY BECAUSE THERE WOULD BE TIMES WHEN I WOULD DECIDE TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF AT SCHOOL - UNFORTUNATELY IT DIDN'T LAST LONG BECAUSE I WAS TOO EASILY DISTRACTED!!

Do you have any plans for any sequels?
NOT AT THE MOMENT, THOUGH IN THE FUTURE I'D LIKE TO DO MADDIE'S STORY. SHE SEEMS TO BE A REAL FAVORITE WITH READERS, EVEN THOUGH SHE ONLY EVER APPEARS WHEN SHE'S TALKING ON THE PHONE TO SUZY.

Any books in the works?
I'VE JUST FINISHED A BOOK ABOUT A GIRL WHO SELLS PSYCHIC DATING ADVICE TO STUDENTS AT HER SCHOOL, IN ORDER TO PAY OFF A HUGE
DEBT.

 

0 comments: