The Right to Know by Jacqueline Klosek






Jacqueline Klosek is a Senior Counsel in Business Law Department of Goodwin Procter LLP, where she practices in the Intellectual Property Practice Area. Her practice focuses on advising clients on various issues related to data privacy and security. She also drafts and negotiates various technology agreements and advises on different aspects of the law related to intellectual property and technology.

Jacqueline is a frequent writer and lecturer. Her most recent book is The Right to Know: Your Guide to Using and Defending Freedom of Information Law in the United States. Her prior books include: War on Privacy (Praeger, 2006); The Legal Guide to e-Business (Greenwood Publishing, 2003) and Data Privacy in the Information Age (Greenwood Publishing, 2000).

Jacqueline (along with James R. Silkenat and Jeffrey M. Aresty) is also an editor of the recently released 3rd edition of the ABA Guide to International Business Negotiations: A Comparison of Cross-Cultural Issues and Successful Approaches.

Jacqueline is a Certified Information Privacy Professional, Ms. Klosek is on the Advisory Board for The Privacy Advisor of the International Association of Privacy Professionals , and is the co-chair of the International Working Group of that organization. She is also an active member of American Bar Association, the International Bar Association and the International Association of Young Lawyers.

Jacqueline has been recognized for her professional expertise. In 2004, Ms. Klosek received NJBiz magazine’s “40 Under 40” award, given annually to the top 40 achievers in New Jersey with an established record of leadership who have taken on key decision-making roles at an earlier-than-usual stage in their lives. She was also the recipient of the Telford-Taylor Fellowship in Public International Law.

She is a graduate of the Vrije Universiteit in Brussels (LLM, European and International Law); Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (JD, Law) and New York University (BA, Psychology)

For more information about the book and author, please visit http://www.jacquelineklosek.com/




The Right to Know is a resource book for citizens seeking to understand, use, and defend their right to know their rights under the freedom of information laws in the United States. It educes practical lessons from dozens of case studies of how the reader can use our freedom of information laws in order to protect the environment, public health and safety and to expose governmental and corporate crime, waste, and corruption.
I was lucky enough to get Jacqueline to agree to an interview. Here are her answers:

Could you please tell us a little about your book?


The Right to Know is a resource book for citizens seeking to understand, use, and defend their right to know their rights under the freedom of information laws in the United States. It sets out in plain language freedom-of-information best practices for ordinary citizens, activist organizations, journalists, bloggers, and lawyers. It educes practical lessons from dozens of case studies of how the reader can use our freedom of information laws in order to protect the environment, public health and safety and to expose governmental and corporate crime, waste, and corruption. Finally, it shows American readers how their right to know is being progressively curtailed, why the trend is so dangerous to American democracy, and what they can do to help reverse the alarming trend.

Did something specific happen to prompt you to write this book?

I first witnessed the power of the Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) in my professional capacity while I was working on pro-bono cases. In my law practice, I began representing clients who were seeking political asylum in the United States after suffering persecution in their homelands. I quickly found that the FOIA was an effective tool to garner and confirm a variety of facts that helped me pursue their cases. This prompted me to learn more about the FOIA and how it could be used to bring important information to the public light, and, ultimately, achieve social change in important areas, such as environmental protection and the advancement of human health.

Who is your biggest supporter?

Fortunately, I have a lot of support from my parents, my brothers, Jason and Michael and my Aunt Mare. My boyfriend Tom and his mother Roseann have also been incredibly supportive throughout the entire process. Support of family and friends is key to the successful completion of a book. However, in addition to support, is important to have critical feedback. As such, it is ideal to seek feedback from friends and family members who will be honest with you.

What cause are you most passionate about and why?

I have been a vegetarian since I was about 12 years old and am very passionate about animal rights and environmental protection. Growing up, I was fortunate enough to have pets in my life and now, I have a dog that is very important to me. Beyond my own companion animals, I value all animals and place a great level of importance on ensuring the protection of wildlife and their habitats. I endeavored to share this passion and promote these causes through The Right to Know. For example, the books shows how the FOIA is being used to protect circus elephants from abuse and to preserve the dwindling number of polar bears.

Do you have any rituals you follow when finishing a piece of work?

I usually breathe a huge sigh of relief and tell myself that I will not attempt another book for a while. Then, within a few days - sometimes hours - I am thinking of the next project.

What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on a new book on health privacy. This past summer I taught a law school course on the privacy of health information and this has helped to re-ignite my interest in this very current issue.

What do you feel sets this book apart from others in the same genre?

A lot of authors have written about the freedom of information. However, in this book, I endeavor to help people understand how they can exercise their rights under the law and obtain information from the government, while also sharing detailed information about important revelations that were achieved through freedom of information laws. I feel that this is a rather unique approach to the topic.

What is the most important lesson you have learned from life so far?

The best way to feel better about yourself is to do something for someone else.

What is your favorite past-time?

I enjoy a wide-range of athletic activities. I run a lot and also train people who wish to begin running. I also enjoy surfing, Pilates and yoga. When I can find the time, I love to travel and explore new places. Above all, I love spending time hiking and swimming with my yellow labrador, Brian. All of these activities help me to keep my body strong, relieve stress and clear my mind so that I am well-equipped to tackle professional challenges.

 

0 comments: